Apply for Certification or a Milestone Badge
Milestone badges are currently available for Architects and Data Scientists (Technical Specialists and Trusted Technology Providers are not yet available).
Apply for a Data Scientist Milestone Badge
- Level 1 or Level 2 Data Scientist Milestone Badge (all badges)
- Level 3 Data Scientist Professional Development
- Level 3 Data Scientist Experience Profile
- Level 3 Data Scientist Experience Application - for certification
Apply for an Architect Milestone Badge
The Open CA Experience Profile application forms have been updated to align with Version 4.0 of the Open CA Conformance Requirements, which include the addition of the Digital Architecture Discipline, and Version 1.2 of the Open CA Configuration Document. If you started an Experience Profile application aligned with Version 3.1 of the Open CA Conformance Requirements, you may continue to use that form via the "saved" link to your application; please contact the Certification Authority if you need help obtaining the link to your application.
- Level 1 or Level 2 Professional Communication
- Level 1 or Level 2 Professional Development
- Level 1 or Level 2 Experience Profile
- Level 1 or Level 2 Experience Application - for certification
- Level 3 Professional Development
- Level 3 Experience Profile
- Level 3 Experience Application - for certification [coming soon]
The specific Milestone Badges required for each level of certification are defined below. Further information on these requirements may be found in the profession-specific Configuration Document.
|Professional Communication||Professional Development||Experience Profile|
|Level 1||Yes||Yes||2 Experience Profile Milestone Badges required|
|Level 2||Yes||Yes||3 Experience Profile Milestone Badges required|
|Level 3||Not required||Yes||3 Experience Profile Milestone Badges required|
|Re-Certification||Not required||Yes||1 Experience Profile Milestone Badge required*|
* - for Architect re-certification, may alternatively complete an Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice as described in the Re-Certification Requirements section below
Re-certification for all Professions
Individuals who are due for re-certification directly with The Open Group will re-certify by earning two badges at (or above) the level of their certification:
- One Professional Development Milestone Badge, and
- One Experience Profile Milestone Badge
Your Experience Profile application will be reviewed by a single Peer Review Board Member, as per the re-certification requirements defined in the profession's Configuration Document. The cost for re-certification is the cost to obtain each of the two Milestone Badges, there is no additional re-certification fee. After you have earned both badges, the Certification Authority will extend the expiry date of your certification by three years.
If you are certified at Level 1 or Level 2 and wish to change the Discipline/Speciality of your certification, you are required to earn an Experience Profile Milestone Badge in the new Discipline/Speciality. If you wish to certify at a higher level and earn an Experience Profile Milestone Badge at the higher level, you may use that badge both in support of your re-certification of your current certification and in support of certification at a higher level.
Architect specific Re-certification option
For the Architect profession only, there is an option to complete the Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice form as an alternative to the Experience Profile Milestone Badge. This declaration form requires applicants to describe the architectural contributions they have made during the past 3 years, in order to demonstrate that they have continued to practice as an Architect. Individuals taking this approach to re-certification are required to complete the following in order to re-certify:
- Earn a Professional Development Milestone Badge (at or above the level of the current certification)
- Complete and be approved for the Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice
Your Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice application will be reviewed by a single Peer Review Board Member, as per the re-certification requirements defined in the profession's Configuration Document. The cost for re-certification is the cost to submit each of the two applications defined above, there is no additional re-certification fee. After your Professional Development badges has been earned and your Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice has been approved, the Certification Authority will extend the expiry date of your certification by three years.
The Open CA Declaration of Continued Practice will be sufficient for people who wish to re-certify at the same level and in the same Discipline/Specialty. If you wish to change specialities or earn a certification at a higher level, consider earning an Experience Profile Milestone Badge at the desired level of certification / in the desired Discipline/Speciality as you will then be able to use the badge to support both for your current re-certification and towards your new / updated certification.
A Stepwise Path to Certification
Open Professions certification is awarded through experience-based profile assessment by recognized industry experts within their appropriate field. Certification is broken down into three stages – to allow you to manage your certification at a pace that is most suitable to you and to allow you to show evidence for your expertise more quickly:
- Step One - Obtain 4-5 Milestone Badges (four for Levels 1 & 3, five for Level 2). Candidates submit separate Milestone Application Forms, which are then evaluated independently. After earning all the required Milestone Badges, proceed to Step Two
- Step Two - Complete the Experience Application Form to apply for certification
- Step Three - Attend a board review
Contact the Open Professions Certification Authority for help on the milestone-based certification process or information on earning badges not listed above.